A brief history...
Primitive Methodism reached the mining areas of South Staffordshire in around 1818, with the first Chapel established in Brierley Hill in 1821 on Bent Street. This led to the forming of the Brierley Hill Circuit in 1850. In 1858 the Mount Pleasant chapel was constructed at a cost of £250. Another Methodist chapel existed at this time in Moss Grove, Kingswinford.
The Mount Pleasant chapel was in the Brierley Hill Circuit, while the Moss Grove chapel was in the Stourbridge Circuit. In 1952, a revision of the circuits meant both chapels came under the care of the same minister. 1952 also saw the centenary of Moss Grove.
Mount Pleasant Chapel
Moss Grove Chapel
In 1958, Mount Pleasant celebrated their centenary.
The Mount Pleasant Centenary Handbook
[Click here to downolad the full text]
Model of the proposed new Kingswinford Methodist Church
It had already been decided that no large amount of money would again be spent on the Mount Pleasant chapel, and Moss Grove couldn’t acquire the land needed to extend. In 1962 a co-operation between the two chapels began. It was obvious that Kingswinford could not afford two new chapels, so after a vote - to join the two together, a joint venture ensued, and land suitable for a new church was purchased. The site on Macmaster’s Field in Stream Road was for a Church fit for use by both groups for the worship and service of God.
Land acquired for the new church
The Mount Pleasant chapel was closed by the trustees in 1965 and the building put up for sale. The members joined those at Moss Grove until June 12th, 1966 when the last service was held at this chapel also. The following Saturday (June 18th, 1966), the Kingswinford Methodist Society packed the new church for its opening. A new church and a new Society were now ready for worship, witness and service.
Saturday 18th June 1966
The church opening
The first service